Friday, October 12, 2007

Ready for "something" to begin....




Well it happened.

My guy/gal (who shall remain nameless at this point) didn't get chosen by my city-mates to lead the Birmingham. Significant disappointment and a feeling of gloom was my initial reaction: drinking from the poisoned punch going around, passed by some intown residents; only 'my guy/gal' could provide the solution to growth intown. The thoughts go something like this: without "my guy/gal" everybody's going to continue moving out, the neighborhoods will continue to be commonly thought of as overrun with crime and generally the sky will fall.

I'm feeling differently now, however. New times offer new opportunities, right? Cocking my head to the side and squinting my eyes I've decided to look at this sit-cha-tion differently. Remembering my initial excitement for Larry Langford's candidacy for many of the same reasons he won: his ambition, his energy and his popularity (notariety?) is allowing me view things in a new light. I'm forcing myself to see less of the challenges that caused me to loose my Larry-religion early on. Challenges like: What is his plan for action? Will his strong will turn into bull headedness? Will that bull headedness create and add to his pre-existing enemies? Will his "something" translate into long term, fraud free success. So with some trepidation I'm asking what exactly will our new mayor's "something" be?

With my head cocked to the side and eyes squinted, I've decided to think positive: all you folk who have be galvanized (supposedly 45% of registered voters got out and went to the polls. You go, B'ham!) by this election need to get active and stay active in city government.
That's going to be my commitment. I'm starting with my neighborhood, Historic Norwood.
We need to make sure Larry knows our name and the visions our "Neighborhood Plan Implementation Committee" has. Birmingham needs a redevelopment authority to speed the recycling of all these empty houses and properties; leadership has got to get serious about increasing home ownership Intown, we need more cops and morale among them has got to be better. These are the basics for me, before a dome and even before better transit.

So, everybody Intown, say it with me: "Larry, what's our name?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My guy didn't win either but I'll rally around the leader for now. Great blog and idea..can't wait to see what becomes of it!

Thanks for the Magic City Flickr group link as well...