Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Herculean Task


One of the pleasures of living in a 100 year old neighborhood is that there is plenty of greenery that is well established. It is also one of the great banes of living in a 100 year old community; some of my chlorophyll powered neighbors don't know when their welcome is well worn out and need to just die. In fact I'm sure that they ask themselves 'why is this newcomer cutting on me?' in their own ever silent way.

Hercules in one of his 12 labors is supposed to have fought a many headed hydra who grew back two heads in the place of each one that the mythical hero cut off. I can't speak for the ancient world but the modern day analog of that is surely the fern type of tree that is seen randomly around Intown homes and businesses and is the bane of my summer each year. Each year I cut it back to a stub and each year it comes back with more (though at least their smaller in diameter than the first) branches to block the northeast view off of my porch. Like the story of Hercules, short of digging out this stump, I will have to cauterize the cut branches in order to stop it's growth. Anybody out there have some luck stopping the growth of these things?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe that's a mimosa tree, and as far as I know, the only way to get rid of one is to pull it out by the roots!