Thursday, July 17, 2008

YES.WE.CAN!


Up until this Tuesday I have not been able to make to any of the Yes We Can! townhall style meetings going on around the city. Luckily the programs organizers are persistant in keeping these meetings going and I made it to one at the library on Oporto Madrid (beautiful building). I'm glad I did.

There was only a small group there, no suprise. Unfortunately only the most intersted in Birmingham's future are going to take time to go to these things. Pretty much everyone there currently served in some type of leadership role in their current life.

Interesting new ideas were shared. Two of the most interesting to me were creating schools with dormitories creating a residential system for public school students. WOW. Hadn't thought of that one in the past, but I believe it's worth a good review of costs and benefits. Another was a deeo more affordable entertainment options for families. There's opportunity for neighborhoods to be more aggressive in doing things like "movie nights" which could help with this.

Many things were shared in the hour and a half long meeting. I'm going to the one on today (7-17-08) at Sixth Avenue Baptist Church on Martin Luther King Blvd. Meet me there.

No comments: