Monday, November 3, 2008

Blog hyper-local, Buy hyper-local. Neighborhood stores help with election lines.



Tomorrow is the biggest election day in anybody's recent memory. UrbanUpscale-Intown Green's staff (me) was so inspired by CNN correspondent and Tom Joyner Morning Show regular guest Roland Martin's idea of helping the election by helping people who are expected to be standing in tomorrow's long lines.

What to do? What to do?


Oh, I know. Food and drink.

I contacted two neighborhood stores who I have worked with in the past and they have donated and discounted some food items to help out the cause. This is part of the
"Shop where I sleep" campaign
that has been hinted here in the past. Now I'm stepping up the volume. Southwest Supermarket in Titusville and Lusco Foods Grocery in Collegeville at 3800 Shuttlesworth Drive. The owners are great guys and carry some nice items that I like and hadn't been able to find in the big national chains. Notice the Morgan Creek muscadine table wine in the picture (the wine is for tomorrow night, not for the lines. Just so we're clear). This is from an Alabama winery located off of 280. Lusco Foods sells this brand; I'd recently been hipped to this brand by downtown fashion haberdasher Sonya Faye's Tailors. Hadn't noticed it yet at my regular grocery store, but Bill Mardis has it ready for the taking. Lusco's is also sponsoring the "name these 5 red trees" Ben and Jerry's pint give away.

I need your help in this. If you want to donate some snacks, please call me tomorrow and I'll let you know which poll I'm working at that time. I'm trying to go to both the Norwood Community Center location and The Hudson School location during the course of the day starting at about 11am or noon. I can be reached at 205-223-8637

No comments: